Support triggering logic fields from previous questions in inspections

Related products: Templates

We are frequently having template situations leading us to desire that logic be able to refer to the answers from previous questions, not just the question we are adding it to.

Currently, we are having to put questions in an illogical order, grouped together where questions are out of context just so we can make specific questions appear based on that answer.  Or we end up asking that same question again so the template can flow better.  Many times, these questions we find the need for this are better suited for the title page, but the follow up questions don’t belong there.

I agree, this would be a great option. In my case, we have a permit to work that includes a hazard assessment. If would be incredibly useful if the answers from the hazard assessment could trigger which parts of the permit to display. Currently we have to enter this information twice, which is a manual task that could be missed.

Hi Corey and Ben, Paddy here, Product Manager from the Safety Culture Inspections team. Thank you so much for these suggestions and for sharing some detail about how you currently lay out your template questions and interact with the logic feature. We are always looking for ways to make our powerful features even more powerful so you sharing this info is very helpful for us. Thanks again! 

Totally agree with the OP.

Just to bump this idea.. I run into this scenario every week with one of our sites or a corporate template where logic tied to previous questions would be such a huge game changer.  It would allow templates to be significantly more flexible and streamlined.

This is a good idea. I would like the opportunity for an answered question to then show a relevant page and/or section, or for it not to be seen if it is irrelevant. It would then save the operator moving between pages that may be irrelevant at different stages during an inspection.

Yes please!! I keep running into this current limitation as well, and it would be so much more efficient if there was more flexibility to the logic structure so it’s not tied directly to a parent question immediately proceeding it.

Another related feature that would be incredibly helpful is if child questions could be tied to multiple parent answers. For example:

• Parent Question 1: Which of the following apply to the location you’re auditing? (multiselect)
    • Parent Answer A: Storage closet
    • Parent Answer B: Cabinets
    • Parent Answer C: Quiet room
  • Parent Question 2: Are there any items out of place in any spaces audited?
    • Parent Answer 😨 Yes
    • Parent Answer E: No
  • Child Answer 1: Does your location utilize 5S? (could also be a series of 5S-related questions)
  • User answers/logic displays:
    • PQ1: A - CA1
    • PQ1: B - CA1
    • PQ1: C - none
    • PQ2: D - CA1
    • PQ2: E - none

This is a super rough scenario, but the idea is that any number of parent answers could be attached as [and/or] conditions to display a specific (or set of specific) child answers.

Thank you for sharing your continued support and real life use cases for this idea team! 

+1 for reusable logic variables!

We use SC for plant inspections, and often have to ask the same “Plant type” questions for each catagory, if I could select the plant type once and then reference that answer at each category, i could eliminate the need to ask the same question up to a dozen times in that template.

Is this possibly coming?

Is this possibly coming?

I hope so!

Can we please get this added?? I use SC for RV inspections and many questions are specific to the class of RV being inspected. So, I must continually ask for the class of RV throughout the template, so I get the correct questions. It would be great if I only had to ask for the class of RV once and then future sections referred to the original question for the class of RV and only presented the relevant questions.

Yes we also have a desire to enable and disable visibility of questions throughout the template based on an answer previously provided.  The enabling and disabling of the visibility of questions would also equally apply based on a previous answer across pages and sections

Possibly Christmas gift or New Year’s wish?

Is there any more information about this idea. Having the ability to refer back to previous questions would greatly impact and simplify our templates.

Can we please get this added?? I use SC for RV inspections and many questions are specific to the class of RV being inspected. So, I must continually ask for the class of RV throughout the template, so I get the correct questions. It would be great if I only had to ask for the class of RV once and then future sections referred to the original question for the class of RV and only presented the relevant questions.

I'm in this same boat of RV inspections and the same process of showing questions based on RV Type. 

This is a feature that would save a lot of faffing about with templates and users having to scroll through unrequired pages on site.  E.g. for a JSA job type selected of “Drone” + “On or Near Water” it would be great that only that data set of answers and associated hazard/RA info appeared based on the hazard selected under that job type group.

Hope we get to see this soon.

As per all the above the simplification of this added feature would dramatically streamline not only the questions and autonomous logic but also assist in other areas.

The logic improvements would help with analytics for failed or same answers and for labels categories when creating dashboards with live KPIs. 

Can SC update whether this is plans for an inclusion build / timeline as it seems that this is being requested by many customers at admin level who are managing their SC platform's.

Also when adding logic.

It is sequential which to me is an issue when you are adding multiple logics in one area.

As soon as there is an addition it cannot be adding in a certain area or moved.

Example add logic for 01 then 02 then 03

However the programme or sequence changes with inclusion of 02a.

This cannot be added in as a sequence but can only be added at the end of the logic sequence.

Needs amending...