Tap & go with NFCs for Assets

Related products: Assets
Tap & go with NFCs for Assets

In this release, you can now:

• Use NFC tags to more easily connect to your assets, surfacing asset information when you and your team are on the move. 

What you’ll love about this new functionality

Introducing an easier than ever, more durable way for you to surface asset information on your mobile device. Using Near Field Communication (NFC) readers, a cutting-edge wireless technology that allows short-range communication between an NFC tag and your smartphone or tablet. Because it contains small chips that store links to open your asset's data, you can access important asset information quickly and hassle-free.

The benefits of using NFCs are: 

• Fuss-free set up: Setting up NFCs is a breeze. Just attach an NFC tag to your asset, and you're all set to integrate it seamlessly with the SafetyCulture app.
  • No extra hardware required: NFC tags are designed for convenience. Their ease of setup means you don't need any additional devices.
  • Cost-effective: NFCs are not only readily available but also budget-friendly, making them an economical choice for your business.
  • Efficient: With just a tap of your smartphone on the NFC tag, you can instantly access asset history, conduct inspections, and take actions in a matter of seconds.

NFCs are recommended for environments where that require a more durable solution than QR codes, in conditions where your assets face exposure to the elements such as in facilities management, fleet, plant and construction equipment. They are also simply just much much quicker to get set up than QR codes. 

Note: Only those with assets management permissions can edit the asset profile after scanning an NFC tag. Those without the asset management permission will only be able to view asset details. 

What will you use NFCs for? Tell us in the comments! 

How to get started with the new release

First, you'll need to purchase NFC tags, which are very inexpensive. We have been using NTAG 213 and 216 tags which you can purchase through Amazon, but will soon be available in the SafetyCulture Marketplace. 

There are a few types of NFC tags. Stickers and keyring tags to more robust discs (recommended)  can be screwed into walls or fixed on equipment, they are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials. Larger discs are recommended over stickers as they have a stronger field and are more durable.

To learn more about how to set up NFCs with Assets, visit our Help Center.

See below for examples of NFC tags that you can purchase. 

IS20gv4hkHTjwzUPcqgs7nMBGKkelr5564PXLKpNAi2G5ODGc8AMmtL9CkNvtCd6Ik8qqygCZMKiCX44t0f5Fa5coVo-gdA666JyeV3Wu2f5792fTT6naEYnNbXIZ-sDfKm7o5UXyMZzGK_7MREH0vE

Have you found a NFC tag reader that connects via Bluetooth or the lightning port?  iPads do not have an NFC chip and cannot support this functionality unfortunately.  We have a site interested in trying it, but we don’t know how to get started due to that issue.

Hey Corey,

I found some NFC readers on Amazon. Some are bluetooth, and some have USB cables, but I’ve not tested any thing like this for use on iPads.

https://www.amazon.com/Arkscan-AS10-Android-Windows-Wireless/dp/B019JM9R12

https://www.amazon.com/ACR122U-Reader-Writer-Ntag213-Software/dp/B07KRKPWYC

https://www.amazon.com/NETUM-C300-HF-13-56MHz-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B0CHYT9CQ9

Even if this works, I get the sense it will be a clunky experience.

I’ll look into it more and come back to this thread. Let me know if you find a solution that works. 

Cheers,

Duncan

I also found this one which may be smaller.  Our sites using assets agreed this would be clunky and that QR codes could be a better option for iPads.  I was looking for a way to streamline looking up info or starting an inspection.  If you are about to hop on a forklift and need to do your OSHA inspection, it takes several clicks to unlock the iPad, open the app, click to Inspections, find the template, start the inspection, then select the asset.  If we could quickly jump to the asset’s page, then click to start the inspection template with the asset already selected, that would likely save them a bit of time and feel smoother.

Buy ACS ACR1255U-J1 USB Bluetooth NFC Reader Online | GoToTags Store