Remove user ownership from inspections

Related products: Inspections

At the moment, inspections are owned by individual users.

The challenges that this creates are:

• Data permissions issue - user is in a role today that should have this information and  tomorrow they are not, however, they will still have access to the inspections they conducted whilst in the role that should have had permissions to see this.
  • Data reporting - There is no way to easily report on how different business units are performing inspection wise. If you are trying to report on programs, use groups you might say. These are out of the question as if an individual moves from one business unit group to another, they will take the inspections they own historically between the groups reporting wise.

Maybe we remove user ownership from inspections and make it role based - see more info on roles within platform here.

Hi Ben! Thanks for jumping on and contributing.

Great articulation of some complex parts of the platform and thank you for pointing out some opportunities areas :) 

I have other issues with “ownership.” 

• When we removed some users last fall, there was a bug that did not properly remove them from the template and inspection report access rules, nor did it properly assign templates they own to the new owner I selected at that time.  It has been a big headache to find and fix this, which I’m still dealing with months later (even with SC support help).
  • Additionally, we just experienced the “tomorrow they are not.”  In this case, a person moved from a plant role to a corporate role.  She owns dozens of templates for her site.  There is no “magic button” we can click to reassign ownership of all her templates to someone else.
    • I have to ask her to go to each one by one and update the owner to her replacement.
    • Even as “Admin” with “Data Access” permission, I do not have security rights to change the owner.  Only the owner can edit that part of template access, which is a significant flaw for someone with full permissions to not have that power.
  • We’ve also run into situations where the person who owned a template and conducted it never gave report access to anyone else.  When they leave the company or move to another site, we have no way to know which ones were setup that way so that an Admin can go through them one by one and fix the report access.