GPS Location on Site (Auto-Select)

Related products: Organization management

It would be handy if on the “Sites” setup page there was a “locator” tool just like the “location” field of inspections. With that, we could input an address and have it find the address and GPS coordinates, then we could save this to the “profile” of each site.  With that location stored on each Site, then during inspections, adding Issues, and adding Actions, when the app sees your GPS location, it could auto-select the “site” based on the location assigned to it.  This would be one less thing to click during inspections, Issues, and Actions.

Hey Corey, thanks for submitting this idea! My name is Jacob, I’m a product manager here at SafetyCulture, specifically working with the team that works on the Sites feature.

I love the idea here! Can I ask are you logging each inspection with a ‘Site’ via the ‘Site Conducted’ question, then entering the site’s location in again via the ‘Location’ field? If so, what’s the purpose of needing to see a location on a map?

Before the “Sites” feature existed, Location was critical from a corporate standpoint to see where inspections were being conducted. Once Sites was added and baked a little further, that became the easier route.  However, there is no “activity feed” for a Site, so we have to use the Site as a filter on the various features if we want to see this.  

I personally like to see the Location because it proves the person was actually there and didn’t just select the Site but was really afar, nowhere near the site (i.e. pencil whipping). Sometimes it is a little buggy where it uses a Location from a random inspection/action/issue another person submitted last even if from another site.  A bit odd and hard to believe, but it happens.  

The problem I have now that Sites is no longer “built-in” but is an optional template question is many people have started to remove it. Now I lose the ability to filter data by Site. I can’t filter/search by Location either, but that field is there as automated GPS data as a backup if I need to dig in. Of course, some people have removed that field too.  

The “Analytics” page has the heat map of locations. This requires the Location field in the templates. If the GPS location was also tied to a Site’s settings, it could use the Site field as well for that map.  Maybe it’s just “fun” from a corporate perspective in our case of manufacturing.  Although I could see other industries having more use for this.

And by having that data in the Site setting, it could be automatically “selected” for inspectors so they don’t have to pick it from the list.  Perhaps that would reduce the number of people that remove the field altogether, just to reduce one more field their employees have to complete.  Of course, if the GPS location they are at does not correspond to the site, then it won’t auto-select it.

NewNot planned