Customise inspection PDF report filename format (naming convention)

Related products: Inspection Report

It would be nice to have a little more control over the downloaded PDF filename or any downloaded/shared inspection for that matter.

Most of our monitoring records outside of SafetyCulture start with the date in reverse format (YYYYMMDD) to ensure they are always in order from Year to Month to Day. Eg 20230627 or 230627.

It would be great to be able to use this formatting on downloaded inspection reports.

Is this something that has been considered?

Cheers

The name of the PDF version of reports comes from the template’s report tab for “title” formatting.  We have some that include the name of the inspector, equipment, customer, carrier, shift, line, etc.  I try to promote everyone to use that feature so they can get info at a glance just from the inspection title (and PDF name if viewing reports), as well as sort reports.

For example, this PDF:

comes from this report title:

Thanks for sharing this @Andrew-K! And appreciate your contribution as always @Corey 🙏🏼

We’ve had a look into this on our end as well, and we did notice the discrepancy between the date format you see in inspections and reports with the actual name of inspections and the exported filenames. Now that we’ve found it, it’s definitely something we want to align to make sure the date format you select is the same across the platform, though we don’t have a timeframe on when we can deliver this.

For now, I’ll go ahead and update the status to Planned feature for the idea :)

NewPlanned feature

The name of the PDF version of reports comes from the template’s report tab for “title” formatting.  We have some that include the name of the inspector, equipment, customer, carrier, shift, line, etc.  I try to promote everyone to use that feature so they can get info at a glance just from the inspection title (and PDF name if viewing reports), as well as sort reports.

Thanks Corey, I am using fields in the Inspection title format like this as well. (Document Number / 8 Jul 2023 / <Site>) Document Number doesn't change and is basically the Document Code.

What I would like is the ability to format the date in the Title so when reports are downloaded, it can be used to sort in date order. Eg. 2023-07-08 / Document Number / <Site>

Thanks for sharing this @Andrew-K! And appreciate your contribution as always @Corey 🙏🏼

We’ve had a look into this on our end as well, and we did notice the discrepancy between the date format you see in inspections and reports with the actual name of inspections and the exported filenames. Now that we’ve found it, it’s definitely something we want to align to make sure the date format you select is the same across the platform, though we don’t have a timeframe on when we can deliver this.

For now, I’ll go ahead and update the status to Planned feature for the idea :)

Hi Jackihann,

I would prefer to see the date formatting as something like ‘8 Jul 2023’ in most places, just when it comes to the filename for downloaded reports, it would be nice to format it as 2023-07-08 instead.

This way, the files would be sorted in date order.

So, it's not necessarily aligning the format across the platform, more so just the filename or title format.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Hi @Andrew-K, apologies for the delayed reply.

That makes sense, and I’ve updated the post’s title to reflect that as well – for now, I’ll move this back to NEW for our Product Teams to consider 🙏🏼

Thank you again for sharing this feedback :)

Planned featureNew

NewReleased

Hi everyone 👋🏻

Just wanted to share that this idea is now released!

Dates in inspections titles for inspections updated moving forward will now follow your organization’s date format setting. This should apply to both inspection titles on web reports when viewing in the app and filenames after you’ve exported a report.

You can update the preference following this support article 📖

If you have any questions or run into any problems, please don’t hesitate to let us know!