User Visibility "Everyone" Setting to Have Team List

Related products: User management

While trying to fix a problem that ended up being a bug, we discovered the recently added “user visibility” setting.  I changed it to “Users only see members of their sites and select groups they're in.”  This turned out to be great because it limits the groups list to groups they are in, and it added a “Team” list of all users at the site they are assigned to.  I think this will make people more willing to assign, notify, and share because they are looking at streamlined lists. 

However, I then have a problem that in some events, a user may need to notify a user at another site, notify or assign to a group at another site, or assign ownership of a duplicated template to someone at another site. Because they can no longer see those groups or users, they cannot. For template ownership, that is a huge issue, because even admins cannot change owners.

My feature ideas:

1. When the “everyone” (default) User Visibility option is selected (or as new a 4th option), I would still like to have the “Team” list of site-associated users and the “my groups” list of groups I am in at the top throughout the platform, and the all users and all groups lists at the bottom.   For the majority of users (which for us are hourly in production and warehouse) and majority of use cases, we need that streamlined relevant users/groups list first.  This new setting would allow us to do cross-site things when necessary still.
  2. Admins should be able to change template ownership.

Hey @Corey, thanks for the feedback here! 

We have pondered for a while on a balanced approach which would serve the needs of the sharing & assigning experience.

I like your idea as a 4th option, but I’m also wondering if an alternative could be:

1. Have a ‘Suggested’ or ‘Frequently Assigned’ area at the top of the assignee dropdown. Which would show those you regularly ‘work’ with. This wouldn’t be a toggle in the user visibility section, it would just be a default for every user
  2. The more common pattern we have seen is removing the dropdown entirely and only having a search bar. The big assumption here however would be that everyone knows the name of the people they work with

What are your thoughts?

I think removing the dropdown is not a great idea, because you then have to type.  Clicking is much faster.

The “Suggested Users” idea could be useful in the case that your “team” could be a lot of people. That would limit it to those you use the most. The downside is it will be empty at first until you do things.  Perhaps that exists above the “Team” list.

What would the fix be regarding user visibility set to “site and select groups” and no longer being able to do things that are cross sites and groups?  I want most people restricted to their site and groups, but there are cases where we need to go beyond that.  That is why I suggested either a new option or still having the “team” and/or your “suggested” lists at the top if we choose the “everyone” option.

NewNot planned