Group Member Visibility to Everyone

Related products: User management

I am frequently asked by management teams of sites, “Who is in XYZ group?” and “Is ABC in the XYZ group?”  If the management team doesn’t know, then certainly hourly employees using the platform regularly do not know.  I try to name groups logically, but a “Safety” group can be anyone, and “Management” can vary by site, for example. 

It would be really nice if the “Groups” page was available to ALL users, even if they don’t have group management permission.  But instead of giving them any permissions, it would simply show them the groups they are a member of, and it would allow them to see all users that are in that group.  Perhaps it is a new “My Groups” tab.  I would then no longer have to answer that question, and it would be more transparent so we can be sure the right people are in groups.

Hey Corey,

Thanks very much for this suggestion. It’s quite timely as we’re looking into user profiles and talking about to surface the right information to the right people as part of some on going reforms this year.

One of the challenges we have in this particular space is that we also need to allow for this visibility that would help yourself, to be turned off for those who do not want group memberships to be visible. We have had a number of customers who very much do not want membership of groups and sites to be available to all members of an organisation. But to address these contradicting expectations we’re now looking at how might be managed and whether we can include it as part of our user profile work.

I will link this suggestion to the project so that we can make sure it’s addressed, but it is already one of the aspects of user visibility we’re planning to improve.

Rather than coupling “group” visibility with the “user visibility” setting on the Sites page, perhaps a “group visibility” setting could be added. 

• Users can see all groups in the organization ← for dropdowns with group assignment
  • Users only see groups they’re in ← for dropdowns with group assignment
  • Users can see all groups in the organization and the group members ← for dropdowns with group assignment AND group management page to see members
  • Users only see groups they’re in and the group members ← for dropdowns with group assignment AND group management page to see members

The second option is basically what happens with the User Visibility setting of “Users only see members of their sites and select groups they're in.” The first option expands that to let them see all groups (regardless if the User Visibility setting is restricted since we’re talking about the group names only).  The bottom two options mirror those, with the added capability to access the “Groups” page to see the members of the groups which is what would help me.

Exactly the line of thinking I have right now Corey, so glad to hear it’s aligned with others 😅

I think there are definitely some shortcomings of the Site Visibility feature; however, it has served well as a proof of concept for visibility settings and allowing for organisations to really customise their users’ experience. I have made a note of this conversation in the research happening in this space and would love to get in touch when we start to tackle this to see if we’re still aligned if that would be alright?

Yes that would be fine.

Any updates on this?

Hey @Corey,

No product update yet. We’re presently working on a better place for these [future] settings, and we’re talking about some potential improvements for the user/group/site pickers which has touched on these themes but without commitment yet.

Will keep you posted though - it’s not for lack of desire and just a balance of prioritisations this hasn’t had more movement.

Checking in on this one.  Group visibility should be de-coupled from the user visibility setting, with added options to be able to see group members.  I’m frequently asked who is in certain groups.  Groups are pushed by SC as the way to assign inspections, training, and other things, yet it’s a guess as to which one to choose if you don’t know who is in them.  It could be that the name formatting is used commonly across all sites but may vary in members slightly from plant to plant due to unique titles, dual roles, or vacancies; or it could be that not all people that would fit that group actually have a SC account.  Being able to give certain users the ability to see who is in groups they are a member of would be handy.