Inspection photo improvements (link, rearrange, reorder, index)

Related products: Inspections Inspection Report

I would like to see the following additions relating to photos within the Safety Culture auditing:

1. To link a photo to a text answer or note e.g. we often take multiple photos for a question and provide specific details in the text answer or supplementary notes. However, it is difficult to highlight which photo you are referring to in the comments. It would be nice to be able to link a photo (e.g. Photo 3) to a comment. As present we need to wait until the report is completed, go back to the office, view the report and check the photo numbering to then go back to edit the report and update the numbering next to our comments. This is painful and does not allow us to finalise our reports and send them to our Clients while on site.
  2. To be able to rearrange photos e.g. sometimes I need to edit a photo or upload a replacement. It then moves the photo to the end. This is a pain when they are taken in sequential order.
  3. To be able to drag a photo to another answer or move it within a report. Often staff add a photo to the wrong question. It is difficult to fix.
  4. In the edit view of a report, to be able to click on a photo and see its Photo number. This would be helpful too.

Awesome ideas and improvement opportunities here!!

1. I hear your pain and time spent on added layers of review processes. Referecing or referring the attached media files to a question or a note would help to reduce time to review inspection reports and improve efficiency!
  2. Great suggestion for point 2 and 3. We support rearrange questions, sections, and pages from the Template Edior, but not on the actual inspection reports. Although we would want the inspection report to reflect the created/edited template, it would be great to have a flexibility to rearrange or even move attached media files in inspections and inspection reports, instead of removing and re-uploading them.
  3. Photo numbers gets assigned when we generate the inspection report, so there’s no way of knowing the photo number while editing/conducting the inspection. This could be a great improvement opportunity to be bundled up when we look into supporting adding captions or labelling attached media files in inspections.

Thanks again for sharing @Matt Roche and keep them coming! We look forward to continuously improving our product and listening to our customers feedback and awesome ideas.

Any updates or feedback on this request at @Hojae Jung?

Today I visited a work site and took 35 photos which are uploaded as media files over several pages, sections and questions. For one question I had 5 photos which were taken to highlight several issues pertinent to the question. I then asked a colleague in the office to review the report and add a photo number reference to each comment where multiple photos were taken e.g. there is a crack in the concrete (Photo 10) which has caused issues to the footing and electrical conduit (Photo 11) [showing the damage]. The numbering has to match the numbering automatically provided within the media summary.

A big problem is when you delete a photo e.g. Photo 5 or update a photo, all the numbering if then out of sync. The numbering or rearranging of photos, then becomes a timely exercise, which is also fraught with human error.

Hi @Matt Roche 👋🏼 

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! Sadly, @Hojae Jung no longer works with us here at SafetyCulture.

To answer your question, it’s definitely something our team still wants to tackle, but being transparent, we don’t have any immediate plans to work on this in the next few months.

We’ll be sure to share an update when we begin work in the future though, so stay tuned!

We really appreciate your patience and understanding 🙏🏼

Please also keep the awesome feedback coming! They’re super valuable 🙌🏼

Not having an option to rearrange photos and link text to a photo number e.g. Photo 1, is painful! If I have 5 photos in a question, how am I meant to describe each photo?

You can’t tell what the photo number is without PDF’ing the report, then going back into edit the report and physically adding photos numbers next to text?

As I inspect scaffolding I always end up with multiple photos of the same issues. I combat this by creating action items for each problem then attaching the photos and annotated plan screenshot to the action items so field staff can understand whish photo is for what action item.

@Matt Roche ; This is a sore spot for my inspections too, because sometimes i’ll have multiple notes on the same item and take several photos attached to the question. 

To remedy this issue I’ll typically edit photos and add a short description or letter/number system in a contrasting color so it is easy to see in the photo thumbnail, that way i can write in the notes referring to each photo like:

1. issue found with product label
  2. other issue with packaging
  3. additional issue with workspace cleanliness

It’s also sometimes difficlut to see where a photo is being taken if i take it up close, in this case i’ll take a photo up close so you can tell what the issue is, then take a further photo so the area around the issue is visible, and then I don’t have to type out describing where the issue is, it will be easy to tell with the wider photo shot. I will also use a contrasting color in the photo editor to circle or point out exactly where the issue is located as needed. 

Here’s an example with a pest trap, this is just a screenshot of the thumbnails, but you can still see the text and arrow showing where the trap is next to a door. 

This is doing my head in. Every page has different photos. If I have two photos for each question, and I want to reference one of the photos, I can’t say Photo 1, because photo 1 refers to the first photo in the report and in the media section. I have to PDF the report, then go back and look at each photo number and make corrections. If I then decide to delete a photo, I have to change all the numbers. This is my biggest waste of time using Safety Culture!!!

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.