Image-based Damage Locations

Related products: Inspections

Hi again,

Related to my question on ‘Looping Questions on Inspections’. We currently guide the user through a vehicle inspection by asking them questions about the existence of damages on specific sections of a rental vehicle. We can currently use the ‘Repeat Section’ feature within the inspection template to allow the user to add multiple damages per location.

It would be really cool if we could simply do this with a template image (see example below) of the area of the vehicle being inspected. Each time the user hits one of the ‘+’ icons it effectively repeats the section asking the user about the type of damage and to take a photo. Depending on which ‘+’ the user selects, the template already knows the location and therefore the user does not have to enter this piece of information. e.g. if they hit the ‘+’ on the headlight, ‘headlight’ automatically gets stored and the user manually adds the damage type.

I think this format of user input would go a long way to reducing the number of pages and sections in our template and make the user experience nicer for our specific use case. I have tried adding the annotate feature, which is kind of useful but not quite the same. Not sure if anyone else has a similar use case?

Probably quite tricky to implement this in the inspection template editor?

Hopefully I got this in the right section of the community forum this time!

Thanks for sharing such an innovative idea @obrend1 ! Looking forward to hearing what other community members think about this.

You also mentioned you work with a number of different sections and pages. Would love to hear any more feedback or tips on how you manage this currently :) 

Cheers! 
Paddy

This is a pretty interesting idea. It would make an inspection a bit more interactive and appealing than a straight list of questions.  I could see this being done for daily forklift inspections as well. 

The only thing I’m not sure about is getting back to the image.

• If they click +, would it put all the questions below the image like a normal repeat section?  If so, once they answer all the questions for that first area, would they need to scroll back up to the image to click on the next area? 
  • Or when they click +, could the questions appear in a pop-up window that you can close once they are all answered? If so, then they could still be looking at the image, and the questions they just answered would still be thrown below it from the pop up they closed. 

@Paddy Bell - currently the operations team uses a single page template for all of the questions (and there are many). They mainly did this because they wanted to retain the flow of logic between sections as it’s not possible to use logic to point to a specific page or question. This would be great too: IF answer to question = A, go to page 7/question 12 (and skip out intermediate pages/questions). I have seen other posts related to this.

I have given them a recommendation to split their current template into pages, each page representing a location on the vehicle that needs to be inspected. This seems workable and would make it easier for a customer to go through the pages looking at any flagged items rather than scrolling down through a seemingly endless list of questions. I have mentioned our customer review pain point in another post - “Support for flagged item summary view while editing inspections”.

@Corey - I’m no designer but I had imagined that a pop-up would be the most user-friendly approach, exactly as you have suggested. And would possibly not require a whole re-work of the inspection template editor.

Another question for you - if I want a template image of an SUV and you want a template image of a forklift, what do you think would be the best way for the inspection template administrator to specify where the ‘+’ should go? Maybe when you submit the image (in the editor) it gets overlaid with a grid and you are able to add ‘+’ icons to the nodes of the grid and then some further context about each ‘+’ icon you add? Potentially the editor has a slider that allows you to modify the grid size?

@obrend1 I would imagine that this would be part of the “Section” feature to attach a “waypoint image” to the section (just like “Repeat” is an option).  Once you upload the image to the section, then the editor should have a button to click to add your “way points.”  You click each area of the image that should have these points.  Once you click all your way points (which it would number so you know which they are), you then click the button to turn that off.  Now you build your questions below the section header just like you do for any section.  However, because the “waypoint image” was turned on for this section, it would have an indent bar automatically for each numbered waypoint so you can order them properly to the waypoint.  When conducting, these would appear in a pop up window, but in the editor they are inline below the header just like they are now. 

@Corey - I think your idea of being able to click on any pixel to add a ‘waypoint’ is much better than my grid idea. I guess with the grid I was thinking about what might happen if the template administrator added a load of points right on top of eachother. Easy to do using a mouse on a computer screen. But when the user comes to interact with it on a mobile phone screen they’ll potentially need very pointy thumbs. I guess that’s on the admin to make a good template though.

I think I understand the points you make after that about how it would appear in the editor. Originally I thought that each waypoint would have identical behaviour aside from labelling the point with a different location, which is effectively your number. But you make a good point in that selecting each waypoint could display a different question set. In our use case the question set is the same. But obviously others might want to ask different questions depending on which point was selected. So some logic could be included too: “If point 1 selected, question set 1”, “If point 2 selected, question set 2”, etc. For our use case we would just use “If any point selected, question set”.

And for our use case we would need a repeat feature to allow the user to select the same point (and go through its associated set of questions) multiple times.

Thanks for your reply obrend1 extending logic across sections and pages is definitely something we are considering for the future. Good to see it pop up again here. Thanks again for sharing all your thoughts and ideas team !