Use and manage assets at scale + multiple assets in inspections

Related products: Assets

Hi everyone,

I have started to take a look at how we can use the Assets in SC.

We have a 1000 or so assets and updating them one by one is an issue for us as it takes too long.

The inability to be able to schedule inspections in “lots of xxxx” is also a problem as it means having to schedule each individual asset separately.

For me, allowing to attach multiple assets in an inspection would certainly be a great starting point. In our case we are thinking of using it for test and tagging, we do all assets at a site at the same time and many of these are exactly the same - 20 vacuum cleaners, 20 extension leads etc

Any ideas on how these issues can be solved?

Hi @nickm 

Thanks for contributing to the community. All of these things are either planned to start soon or are on the future roadmap. 

Bulk editing assets via CSV is coming soon. The team is starting work on this feature later this month.

Our scheduling product is being rebuilt to allow this and also trigger/event based scheduling. So not only time based intervals, but also event based scheduling - if something happens, trigger an activity (inspection, action or something else).

Multiple assets in an inspection is on our roadmap. For transparency, technically it is a big piece of work, because of how all the features like actions, reporting and analytics intersect with the inspections feature … but we are keen to start as soon as possible and designs are being drawn up to allow this in the future.

Duncan

@Duncan Heuer that’s great news and thanks for letting me know.

It would also be great to let the team know on coming up with ways of being able to print multiple or even all QR codes and even better perhaps being able to order directly from you. For us, as mentioned we have over 1,000 assets, so as you can understand doing things one at a time requires time and resources and therefore a reluctunce to move from existing systems.

@nickm

Totally hear you in this regard. Also pleased to say that our team is currently investigating solving this problem. QR codes are great, but a pain to get set up. Bulk downloading them will only take away a small amount of that pain. It doesn’t reduce the effort of having to sort through them to find the correct one to stick on the asset.

That said, we still might build the bulk download capability. If we did this, how would you expect the download to behave? Individual files for each QR code or all QR codes in one pdf?

Your suggestion about being able to order directly from us is also being investigated. Perhaps having the choice to select between stickers and more robust options. 

An idea we are working on is to use the in-app camera so users can scan and link existing barcodes or generic QR codes you generate outside the app, and potentially other identifiers (like rego plates) to their assets.

Another option to share with you in NFC tags. A number of customers are sticking these on their machines and programming them to do various things. One of the benefits of NFC tags is you that you program them when you’re in front of the asset so you don’t have to hunt for the right one. You can also store more data than barcodes or QR codes. So when a user taps their phone multiple options can be programmed:

1. Go to <asset> profile
  2. Start x inspection (with some details pre-filled)
  3. Raise an issue about something
  4. Create a task <action>

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Duncan

Thanks for the response @Duncan Heuer 

In regards to bulk downloading of QR codes, Individual files would suit us better, however, as you noted, knowing which one is which will be a problem!

The in app camera and linking them to existing QR/Barcodes is probably the best option, as it allows us to buy an QR/Barcode sticker and then link them back to the Asset, makes it a lot easier. So my preference would be this option!

NFC Tags - sounds great and certainly something exploring further as a see a business use for it, for us would come down to cost, our industry works with very thin margins having said that though if it builds efficiency and ease of use then it becomes a worthwhile investment. Is this something that’s available now or in development?

@nickm 

Bulking downloading QR codes for assets is now possible. 

Multi-select up to 50 assets at a time from the asset table/list page. A banner will pop up on the bottom of the page giving you the option to generate the QR codes, which will come in a zip file.

Cheers,

Duncan

@Duncan Heuer excellent, that’s great news and thanks for letting me know.

Hi @nickm 👋🏼

Thank you for posting this! Some great ideas and as @Duncan Heuer has mentioned, ones that we’re either exploring or have planned to tackle in the future.

Just so other community members can find this post, I’m gonna go ahead and convert this to an idea 💡 

NewDiscussion ongoing

Hi @nickm,

Understand that this is an issue: 

We have a 1000 or so assets and updating them one by one is an issue for us as it takes too long.

How are you doing this at the moment?

Hi @BenGur ,

Well … they are nearly all in SC and because they get upadted once per year (test and tagging) I won’t be faced with this problem until then, I’m hoping a solution exists by then 😀

So you have a test/tag date as a custom field in the asset?

Hi @BenGur ,

Yes, I have added numerous custom fields for all assets, to try and also make it easier when exporting to be able to then sort a lot easier.

Hi @nickm 

Thanks for contributing to the community. All of these things are either planned to start soon or are on the future roadmap. 

Bulk editing assets via CSV is coming soon. The team is starting work on this feature later this month.

Our scheduling product is being rebuilt to allow this and also trigger/event based scheduling. So not only time based intervals, but also event based scheduling - if something happens, trigger an activity (inspection, action or something else).

Multiple assets in an inspection is on our roadmap. For transparency, technically it is a big piece of work, because of how all the features like actions, reporting and analytics intersect with the inspections feature … but we are keen to start as soon as possible and designs are being drawn up to allow this in the future.

Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Hows the multiple assets in inspections coming along? 

I’d be intereset in an update as well!