Ability for users with "Data management" permission to change template owner

Related products: Templates

I am frequently running into problems with changing the template owner.

1. As a user with “Admin” and “Data Management” permissions to our platform, even I do not have the capability to change the owner of a template.  That is a major oversight that Data Management does not provide the ability to change a template owner, considering it comes with the ability to edit, delete, and change access to all templates.
  2. Recently, I changed our “user visibility” setting with the new options to restrict users to your site. That adds the “Team” list of users associated to the site for everyone to see in dropdowns when assigning actions and issues or setting up template access, which is must easier and faster for them to find the right people. However, it also means that if they want to change the template owner to someone outside their site, which we do frequently because they make a duplicate template to help a site out who wants a similar template, they can’t.  I can’t either.  I end up inundating the SC support team with requests to edit the owner of a single template, which is ridiculous to be resorted to that waste of time for SC, the 2 people at our sites sharing a template, and I.
  3. We have run into a few instances where a user owned almost all of a site’s templates, and that user was later downgraded to a free user.  There is no prompt, like what appears when you delete a user, to reassign ownership of their templates to someone else. They cannot edit templates as free, so again this is a major oversight of orphaned permissions (just like exists with schedules when downgrading or deleting users).  I must resort to asking that person to assign, one-by-one, each of their templates to a new owner BEFORE I downgrade them to free.  My other option is to contact SC support again to find all templates that person owns and change them for me.

My primary, simple request is for SC to add changing the template owner to the “Data Management” permission.  Although it would be nice if there was also another user visibility option to still have the “Team” list when showing all users to everyone.  It would also be nice if downgrading from paid to free would prompt you to pick a new person to become the owner of those templates.

Thoughts?

Since last September (a year now), every time I delete a user, I experience a bug that not all templates are properly reassigned, access rules not all changed, and inspection access not all updated to the replacement person I selected.  This has created a big mess at several sites and hours of extra work. Besides those situations, downgrading users and deactivating users do not have a mass permission change process, and with the change to user visibility settings, sites cannot easily share templates to those outside their site.  Admins/data access permission users should be able to change template owners.  The same goes for schedules (which nobody can change ownership of).

This continues to be a big problem that I cannot change a template owner as an admin with organization data permissions.

It’s worse with the user visibility permissions to show people only those assigned to the same site, because they now cannot share a template outside their site.  They have to ask me to make the copy for them so I can change the owner to someone else.  If they make the duplicate template, with them being owner, I cannot do this.  

Coupled with this, it would be nice if there was another user visibility setting that still allowed everyone to have the “team” option in dropdowns with people in their site, but also the “everyone” option below that like Admins see.  That would allow them to make the duplicate templates and assign them to a new owner themselves.

I agree with what you have raised.

When de-activating they have to be re-assigned this has caused me many issues and hours of pain because sometimes it is not simple to just give someone else all this.

Not quite grasped what you are explaining in last para. I am a great believer that and dilution of anyone with admin right is a risk unless they do utilise in a controlled environment otherwise too many people with too many rights can give some too much in the way of controlling and creating.

Template creation to me is like document control and as such either managed at top tier of company or similar otherwise you maybe overrun with template and changes to them that need control.

For what it is worth the template control imo needs history in order to show changes so that this gives version history or similar.

If a template is change via actions or issues or even by failed replies then this need to be part of a record of this change as this then becomes a part of gap analysis.

Great post by the way.