Question

Allow users to assign access to their inspection reports on a case by case basis

• 22 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have my organisation access rules configured so that users only have access to their own inspections.  I do not want to change this setting because that would mean users inspection lists would become too lengthy, not to mention that some inspections may be confidential.

However, there are some instances where a user may need their manager to review the inspection report. The ideal scenario would be for the user to assign an action to their manager (which I know is something they can currently do) and when the user is notified of the action, they are automatically given access and are able to review the inspection report. 

Alternatively, it would be great if we were able to configure some kind of integration whereby, if a user inputs a name into a particular field, the user input into that field is automatically sent a copy of the report.

If it is already a possibility I would love to know how to configure this. Otherwise please accept this as a potential idea for a future update. 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @K.Maxim stumbled upon this post and I love the suggestion here! 

I am curious about your process so may I know if this user will create an action from the inspection report they are doing, and assigned said action to the manager? Did some digging and apparently if you assign an action from an inspection you would have to give them access to the report first 😮

As for that integration really really like this! I’m not totally sure on this and happy for other people to jump in on this thread!

Userlevel 1

Hi @K.Maxim 

There is a little workaround you could do (it’s not ideal) - downloading the inspection as a .pdf and then attaching it to the Action so the person can then see the report without having to change your access permissions. 

Tiffany

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@K.Maxim I have my managers set in additional groups to the rest of the workforce.

Individuals see their Inspections and Actions and Managers see all Actions and can reassign if necessary to ensure they go to the right people.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @K.Maxim 👋🏼 I know it’s been a while since you created the post, but I wanted to check if the other members here were able to answer your question.

From what I can see, it looks like we have two potential product ideas:

1. Support for a new template response type that acts as a user picker, so that in an inspection, a user can pick one or more other users in the same organisation. This picker field can be subject to the user visibility settings if you want to control who can see who.
  2. The ability to automatically email inspection reports on inspection completion. This could be tied together with the idea above, where depending on which users are selected, reports would be automatically emailed to them.

Would the ideas above solve your problem more completely?