Make "Required" option for repeat sections more discoverable

Related products: Inspections

We have inspections where if the answer to a question is YES, then the user needs to add data for a set  of questions in a repeatable section for each device.

The questions within the section are set “Required” but the “Adding” of the section cannot be marked as mandatory.

Can the section ADD be made to be required so we do not miss data?

I believe you can just pull the repeated section into the logic for yes and make the questions required in the repeating section it would look like this  

I believe you can just pull the repeated section into the logic for yes and make the questions required in the repeating section it would look like this  

Unfortunately, this does not work because by default the repeat section starts with + without the first set of questions added until the user clicks + the first time.

I’ll second this request, with a tweak.  The point of a repeat section is that you will either add none or more than 1.  If it’s always 1 set of questions, you would not do it as a repeat section and would just put a set of required questions.  Rather than just being able to require an entire repeat section, it would revolutionize how we do things if we could have a MIN and MAX number of repeats they need to add.  If you need to require them to add at least 1, you can put 1.  If you need them to repeat 37 times (such as if you had 37 doors), you can put the MIN at 37 and the MAX at 37.  If you don’t need to require it, leave it at 0.

Unfortunately, this does not work because by default the repeat section starts with + without the first set of questions added until the user clicks + the first time.

I’ll second this request, with a tweak.  The point of a repeat section is that you will either add none or more than 1.  If it’s always 1 set of questions, you would not do it as a repeat section and would just put a set of required questions.  Rather than just being able to require an entire repeat section, it would revolutionize how we do things if we could have a MIN and MAX number of repeats they need to add.  If you need to require them to add at least 1, you can put 1.  If you need them to repeat 37 times (such as if you had 37 doors), you can put the MIN at 37 and the MAX at 37.  If you don’t need to require it, leave it at 0.

I really like the idea to be able to add a define “#” qty of repeated questions rather than clicking the “+” button for the amount required.

Eg….

Q - How many repeat[s) do you need ?

A - 3

Result :-

Repeat 1 - Q1

Repeat 1 - Q2

Repeat 1 - Q3

Repeat 2 - Q1

Repeat 2 - Q2

Repeat 2 - Q3

Repeat 3 - Q1

Repeat 3 - Q2

Repeat 4 - Q3

etc etc etc...

I would still want the user to click + for each one, so they can answer the set for the repeat they are on at the moment and not get confused.  We often use repeat sections for things that happen over time and work within an inspection throughout the shift/day, so they click + to add one at the time they are about to do that set of questions.  But with a Min/Max option, you get a ton of flexibility:

• Leave min and max empty = do not have to add any and have no restrictions (functions like today)
  • Set a min and leave max empty = have to add at least that many but no upper restriction
  • Set a max and leave min empty = do not have to add any but have an upper restriction
  • Set a different min and a max = have to add at least that many but have an upper restriction
  • Set the same min and max = have to add that exact number before it’s considered complete

Hey @Elmleigh @Corey 👋🏼 

It’s been a while since the last comment on this idea, but I realised that it’s something that should be possible already 👀

You can set a repeat section to be Required from the more menu, so that it has to be repeated at least once in an inspection.

Although the additional logic both of you have discussed is not possible right now, I hope the current functionality addresses your immediate needs :)

I’ll close the idea for now, but please let me know if you’d like to keep this open for the additional logic that’s been discussed 👍🏼

NewNot planned

I was not aware that a “required” toggle was added - thanks!  However, please re-open this idea or split.

Required:  Once people know the “required” toggle is there, it is likely going to become commonly used. However, with it buried in a “...” menu, a lot of people are likely unaware it exists or will forget about it.  It should be moved to the main header next to the “repeat this section.” I realize it only appears when repeat is toggled on, but it could behave the same way if moved out of the menu.

Min/Max:  Additionally, not having a “min” and “max” number of repeats is VERY limiting.  We frequently have too many or not enough repeat sections added, defeating the purpose of them except in rare cases when the number will vary. By controlling if the user should add a certain number of them (at least and/or no more than), we ensure they fully understand the inspection purpose and have completed it properly.

No worries @Corey! Let me reopen this with rewording to making Required more discoverable, and create a new one on the minimum and maximum repeat sections :)

Not plannedNew

I’ve created the following idea @Corey 👍🏼