Microsoft Certification for Power BI Connector to enable auto-refresh via enterprise gateway

Related products: Integrations

The safety culture Power BI connector is not certified by Microsoft for use with cloud based auto-refresh via enterprise gateways. Please can this be fixed. The PBI connector is a fantastically functional, accessible and extremely convenient method of connecting to SafetyCulture data, and it is very restrictive that it is not able to be used for auto-refresh!! 

I have just come across the same issue. Using the workaround for non-certified connectors (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-trusted-third-party-connectors), I’ve been able to use PowerBI Desktop, however once you’ve published the dashboard to the web, the web dashboard won’t refresh due to the untrusted data source. This renders the PowerBI integration very limited as any dashboards you publish will never be refreshed - kind of defeats the point of having a PowerBI integration at all. It seems like the solution is to get the Safety Culture connector certified by Microsoft - it appears to be a simple process:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/submit-certification.

Would be interested to hear if there’s any other workarounds in the meantime.

Hi Andrew, yes it is very disappointing and I agree that it defeats the point - the PBI Connector is a wonderfully featured and convenient tool that any user in a large business can apply with no IT skills or support requirement. 

Safety Culture’s feedback to me was that “We've removed support for gateways. We did this as we received a lot of unresolvable support requests about them. You can still give it a go, but we'd provide the connector as-is in this scenario. Our feeds API and exporter are supported methodologies for pulling SC data into Power BI.

I am pursuing the option with my company’s IT team to create a central admin user in each of our accounts, and for that IT admin user to generate an API token, and use that token via the Command Line Interface (CLI) exporter tool to import data into our data lakehouse for end user consumption. 

Hope that assists you find a workable solution as well. This link below may also be useful to you. 

SafetyCulture Developer Portal - Export your SafetyCulture Data

I’ll update in here again when I have a solution implemented.