Solved

NFC Tags

• 26 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Can it be possible to add NFC (Near-Field Communication) tags as an option to inspections just like QR codes. We use QR codes to check equipment, assets and as part of our patrols. These areas can sometimes be poorly lit and required at night. Lighting, weather and device camera quality can also affected the time taken to scan a QR code causing delay. 

NFC tags will work in low light, will be quicker to read, can be rewritten if things change reducing waste and time and our not effected by the weather. I hope this is something that can be added. 

icon

Best answer by Hugh McLachlan 26 July 2023, 23:33

View original

3 replies

Badge

Hi Brian,

Hopefully I have some good news for you. NFC tags will work today. If you select “Get QR Code” from the inspection template you’ll find the link underneath the image of the QR Code. The link is a URI, which is like a URL but opens directly into the app.

You can copy the link and use any NFC writer to write it to a NFC tag and should be up and running.

We’d love to hear how you go with it. NFC tags are becoming an increasingly popular way to launch inspections, assets and issues!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

To add on to Hugh’s reply, the URL there is essentially a deep link, which you can for most items in SafetyCulture :)

We have a support article that shows you how to create mobile app deep links, and we plan to document more in the future!

Badge +1

While this will help with short cutting to launch forms for assets and equipment, we use QR codes namely 32 digital hexadecimals (I’d like to increase these to 128 or 256)

that are scanned within forms that then use logic to open question sets about the location. It also acts as another way of validating (on a very simply level) that the person is there. 

This is used heavily for security patrols that have 30+ QR codes around sites that generate questions when scanned. NFC tags could save up to 20% of the time taken to compete a security patrol at our site.