Skip to main content

In today's dynamic regulatory landscape, managing compliance can often feel like hitting a moving target…. We’re seeking your expertise on what factors you believe are most important when dealing with regulatory changes. 

➡️ If you had to create your own poll about managing ever-changing regulations and compliance, what options would you include?

🎯 Here’s a starting point for your 'poll options' brainstorm:

• Regular Training and Workshops
  • Software and Tools Integration for Compliance Management
  • Dedicated Compliance Teams
  • External Consultants and Industry Associations
  • Automated Monitoring Systems
  • Real-Time Regulatory Updates
  • Peer Networking and Knowledge Sharing
Feel free to share some industry-specific examples that might be relevant for other industry professionals in our Community! 

Can we create a resourceful poll for everyone navigating the complex world of compliance?! 🛡️

1.Legal registers.

(Real-Time Regulatory Updates)

Live and accessible but simple and intuitive. 

These registers of the updates and legislation etc can then be used as evidence when updating procedures or implementing training and can in most cases define the resources or timelines etc that are required for compliance.

Some maybe simple other may take some time so they can also fall into a gap analysis. This if in analytics for a example via a custom dashboard would be fantastic in the months and years to come.

2. Software and Tools Integration for Compliance Management

Key. I want this in SC where it can be linked etc and then gap checks, leading and lagging indicators as well as KPIs via dashboard can be linked. 

3. External Consultants and Industry Associations. We are accredited to a few but would then break these down within SC based on points 1-2-3.

-Real time checks

-Plan for these

-Embed

-Review

Would also add that a main focus in the UK at the moment is proof of competence at a company level, contractor and individual.

We will review job roles.

Add these to the users and then start looking at the current gaps with where we actually need people to be.

Looking at 

-Skills

-Knowledge

-Attitude

-Training

-Experience

I think you hit on the big ones.  Perhaps add “Customers” too.  I would split up external consultants and industry associations.

For safety (including OSHA compliance) we use a third party/external safety consulting company.  For food safety / substance exclusions we typically hear about new things coming from our customers and have to research them. We also monitor RSS news feeds on food recalls from FDA and USDA, as well as from an industry-specific law firm that publishes articles publicly.  For state regulations, we are a member of an industry association.

Similar to OSHA we have the HSE. 

I think our links to what they release along with standards and guidance from some of the bodies we are members of gives us the right mix of information.

As I said I think the main one is the legal register which would for us related to the HSE and legislation, new, changes and amendments.

If we could link this somehow into SC via an API or some other method the it can link into our systems.

I would also add SC training links.

The reason for this is that as I have now published about 50 SC course I am finding the synergy with legislation and guidance linking to the training in some way.

Whether this is specialized or general guidance it is again a link to a publication, legislation or std by either a body or council that sees it has best practice

I suppose the legislative bit for example could be the CDM regulations and the best practice for some kind of work in general and other projects would be PASMA.

So CDM Regulations are specific to Construction (Legal Statutory) and PASMA is for Prefabricated Access Suppliers’ & Manufacturers’ Association. 

They provide information and standards as well as training throughout the UK for building access towers and scaffolds.

So for me if we link the training into the guidance and the industry best practice using Pasma as an example, then we can not only link to the training at source via SC training but also as proof that tgis is happening on site. 

We therefore would have the PDFs or guidance as references within the SC training.

Then we begin to move to autonomous systems. 

The main bit though as I keep repeating this in most of my posts is the personnel at the front line.…

-Employees

-Contractors

-Suppliers

Being within the SC system.

Then we pre plan what people either get communicated, require to complete or demonstrate in order that this is pre requisite based upon the activities we expect them to undertake. 

Ta Jonny.

Really loving these insights and conversations - thank you both for the level of detail provided, @jonnyg  and @Corey 💡💡

I understand that linking these external tools and registers to SC would be a game-changer and the idea of custom dashboards for gap analysis and compliance tracking seems to resonate with many…. I am interested, if you were to design a dashboard that could serve as a 'one-stop-shop' for compliance management, what key metrics or features would you prioritise? How would you envision these dashboards evolving to meet future compliance needs? 

PS.

The dashboard would be flexible, intuitive and based upon projected objective to reduce lagging indicators.

It would be a rolling 12 months live plan.

The proof and evidence would be within the SC system.

Therefore another addition maybe a document control section.

This would then have org and company documentation on Policies and procedures etc that could be reviewed and challenged with evidence from most of the tools that SC already has...

I am not quite seeing the vision on how this would work.

Would there be reliable sources of information linked into a single page showing us regulations we need to comply with?  With various data sources, such as local, state, and federal government; various regulatory bodies; industry associations; legal experts, etc. we’ll end up with some overlapping information and coming in various formats.  

How would this link into the features we use in the platform to know that we are compliant? How we meet the needs, such as breakdown of inspection templates, use of scheduling, and breakdown of training courses could be done a million ways and vary by site. Are we talking about, for each piece of information we need to comply with in the dashboard, we link inspections and training to it so we know what we are doing as evidence to meet it?

I was trying to be pragmatic aiming it at regional legislation by country.

The main legislative / standards.

@corey

As these have a major change then basically having a legal register that links to your region and the it is down to the end user orgs to decipher what they tackle.

In the UK we tend to have legal registers and these have the main legislation etc and then this is added to a register.

When the legislation then changes then if we had access to a legal register we can look at the impact of any major changes and how / if it affects us.

This will always be catch up

The impact for these could be scored based on the outcome potential severity of non-compliance again semi or full compliance.

Hence you can start to objectively look at gaps.

Obviously we are not in eutopia but you have to start somewhere.

Carrying on.

If a major change was for example made to Working at Height Legislation and our Org was undertaking lots of the high risk activities then it would be a case of trying to plan some of this in.

I am not for one minute trying to say just look at legislation and changes etc and keep up with them all.

I am saying pick what ones most affect your org and personnel and them try to add some into a dashboard for legislation where you may have changed a template, adapted or built training and added action that may link into for example specific labels.

I suppose having a label called Legal Register can be used for issues, actions etc and then it's a quick win to follow this through the SC system.

-Training maybe SC training.

With a schedule to follow up and Embed.

-SC training may include practicals and follow ups

-External Training via credentials 

I am just trying to give examples that will differ from org to org but will assist enforcing bodies, accreditation bodies and the company brand as you embed Management of Change within the business.

Ta John.