Skip to main content
Solved

Hello - New User - Help on QR Code Generation for Printing

• 24 June 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello to the community!

I am still getting to grips with the system and what it can do… and now looking into listing our assets for our centres.

I have yet to buy a printer with poly labels (robust enough they will not come off and last a fair time) to enable me to print out the labels to affix to each of our assets.

I have begun listing and as such will require QR Codes printed for each individual asset going forward.  So my question is (sorry if there is already an answer to this and i have yet to find it) is:

Can you print out all assets listed from a particular site those assets are linked to in one printout or do you have to print out each one individually?

If there is a way to do this - how is it done?

Kind regards…

Dave

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Dangerous Dave! Firstly, great name 😆

Regarding your question, am I correct in understanding that you’re essentially looking to bulk download (and subsequently print) each assets unique QR code for a specific site? If this is the case, you are able to create and bulk download QR codes specific to assets of a site… 

1. Assets → filter by Site

1. Bulk select → Create QR Codes 

1. Access the downloaded QR codes to print.. 

Let me know if I’ve misunderstood! Hope this helps! 

Badge +1

Hi Bianca!

Yes the name was just a oxymoronic thing i decided on 😄

Yes you can do this - only a maximum of 25 at a time by the look of it - although i read somewhere you can do 50… but i tried and it only did 25.  All images were individual files so would still need to print off individually and not on a print run.

No, what I want to do is do a print run of all a sites assets QR Codes so i do not need to print them off individually.  Not sure the system has the capacity for this - however it is strange this was not thought of.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Dangerous Dave thanks for getting back to me! You’re correct - from my understanding you should be able to bulk download up to 50 so this seems a little strange… are you receiving an error message or only 25 out of 50 selected are actually downloading? Regarding the printing I am afraid at this time you’d first need to download those QR codes to then print as opposed to a bulk print run of them all… that said, I see the value in this capability and have raised this with the product team. I will share any further updates with you Dave 🙏🏽 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Dangerous Dave thanks for getting back to me! You’re correct - from my understanding you should be able to bulk download up to 50 so this seems a little strange… are you receiving an error message or only 25 out of 50 selected are actually downloading? Regarding the printing I am afraid at this time you’d first need to download those QR codes to then print as opposed to a bulk print run of them all… that said, I see the value in this capability and have raised this with the product team. I will share any further updates with you Dave 🙏🏽 

💡Update Dave - I’ve spoken with the team internally who mentioned that at this point we haven't considered a print option partly because each QR code downloaded is a file (or a zip file for bulk), so it would print one per page… We find that some customers send them to an Officeworks or a printing company to sort out this for them as:
a) they have software to deal with resizing
b) they have to sticky label makers, lamination machines etc

In regard to the maximum of 25, the initial page load, loads the first 25 assets, and more load as you scroll down the page. Bulk downloading all at once would likely result in large delays… Nonetheless, I’ve made the team aware of your feedback - thank you! 

Badge +1

Hi Bianca,

Yes no error message - I actually selected all assets for a particular centre (178) but it only downloaded a zip file with the first 25 in it.  Didn’t say anything otherwise.

I see the argument for out-sourcing a printer for the labels… but whereas i will be obtaining a printer this does not help.  But I might suggest this as an option to be considered.

I think going forward this ought to be an option to allow for printing your own.

Thanks for the information - i’ll keep an eye out 😃

Badge +1

@Bianca.Taylor 

Hi,

Just to add that after speaking with a company that deals with QR Codes for printing - they confirm that as i am wanting labels as small as 20mm x 20mm Windows-based printing direct to printer will not work as the quality of the code will diminish and so iphones would not be able to scan.

Also they looked into the coding of QR Codes from SC and found there is no consecutive coding (IE you can have QR Codes generated that the first part is identical but only the last part changes with the item) so would be unable to create a consecutive print run - it all has to be generated and printed individually - which is way time consuming.

So although the SC platform allowing ability to generate and print off QR Codes it is restrictive for this purpose… which is a huge shame.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Dangerous Dave 

Sorry to wade in on your thread!  Was just to throw an idea out there in case it was helpful.  Have you considered using NFC tags for your assets in lieu of QR codes?  

We’re rolling this out for our assets at the moment, and we think this will work really well. Rather than having to get QR’s printed, you can just have a stash of NFC tags that can be coded/re-coded as necessary, and will do the same job as the QR.  There’s a thread with more info about it here:

Hope that helps :) 

Badge +1

Hi @Dangerous Dave 

Sorry to wade in on your thread!  Was just to throw an idea out there in case it was helpful.  Have you considered using NFC tags for your assets in lieu of QR codes?  

We’re rolling this out for our assets at the moment, and we think this will work really well. Rather than having to get QR’s printed, you can just have a stash of NFC tags that can be coded/re-coded as necessary, and will do the same job as the QR.  There’s a thread with more info about it here:

Hope that helps :) 

Hi @emmashuff 

This actually seems like a great idea moving forward.

Just need to see how SC works with it.

Unfortunately it appears that there are issues with allowing iPhones to work with them - is this right (as some others pointed out and questioned you on this)?

Really want to go with the best option - and if NFC labels are better and work with iPhones then is a great idea.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We’ve got a mix of both iPhone and android devices and haven’t had any problems with either to be fair.

A thing I really like is being able to write the NFC tag through the Asset record on the app… it’s really simple to get going with it.

We work in construction so our assets have a hard life.  I’m hoping it will be a simple task to replace the NFC with another if we ever need to.